Licenses and Permits


City Privilege Licenses

Most businesses are not required to obtain a city privilege or business license from the City of Concord.  Businesses that sell beer or wine within the city limits of Concord (those that have obtained a North Carolina ABC permit) must also obtain a City of Concord Beer & Wine License on an annual basis.  The annual City Beer & Wine License is levied on each business selling beer or wine for on-premise or off-premise consumption based on North Carolina General Statute 105-113.77 and 105-113.79 and by the authority of North Carolina General Statute 160A-211.  City of Concord Beer & Wine licenses expire on April 30 of each year and must be renewed annually.  Contact the City of Concord Tax Collections Office at 704-920-5234 for further information about the City Beer & Wine License.

State Licenses

Industry-Specific State Licenses:
The State government requires some businesses to obtain statewide industry-specific licenses. For more information, please contact the N.C. Business License Information Office in Raleigh:
Phone: 1-800-228-8443
Web Site:



All areas within the City of Concord are regulated by a zoning ordinance. All business owners should secure a zoning permit before engaging in a business activity on a parcel of land. 

Planning staff recommends that businesses obtain permits as early as possible during the business-planning stage. You may obtain permits for zoning, exterior signs, home occupations, and building construction/alterations from the appropriate City and County offices:

City of Concord Zoning Permits

Planning & Neighborhood Development Department
35 Cabarrus Avenue West
PO Box 308
Concord, NC 28026-0308


Cabarrus County Building Permits

Building Inspections
65 Church Street SE
PO Box 707
Concord, NC 28026-0707

Web site:  Cabarrus County Construction Standards

When discussing a specific business location with a City or County staff member, it is important to have the street address and owner's name, or the property identification number (PIN) at hand.

Zoning questions usually involve the use of a property for a specific purpose in a given zoning district. Sometimes conditions are placed on business uses - limiting the intensity of an activity, hours of operation, or other factors which could affect the surrounding neighborhood. Other important zoning issues may involve your ability to add onto an existing building, or dealing with a portion of the property which is designated as a flood plain.

New building construction, additions, and alterations typically require a building permit, except for very minor changes. This includes exterior work as well as significant interior repairs and changes. Handicap accessibility issues are becoming increasingly important for commercial buildings. All of these items should be reviewed carefully with Cabarrus County building code officials. Planning staff advises you to make sure that all contractors are properly licensed, and to obtain necessary permits before any work is initiated.

Signs are governed by zoning regulations. Commercial signs are limited by the total number allowed for any one business, and the size (in square feet) permitted. Sign plans should be submitted to the City of Concord Planning & Neighborhood Development Department.