Section 8

Find or list a home

Tenants and Landlords are encouraged to utilize the GO SECTION 8 web portal to locate and list properties available for lease.  It's easy to sign up, so go and search for:

Go Section 8

All About Housing Choice Vouchers -"Section 8"

The housing choice voucher program places the choice of housing in the hands of the individual family.  A very low-income family is selected by the CHD to participate is encouraged to consider several housing choices to secure the best housing for the family needs.  A housing voucher holder is advised of the unit size for which it is eligible based on family size and composition.

The housing unit selected by the family must meet an acceptable level of health and safety before the CHD can approve the unit.  When the voucher holder finds a unit that it wishes to occupy and reaches an agreement with the landlord over the lease terms, the CHD must inspect the dwelling and determine that the rent requested is reasonable.

The City of Concord Housing Department determines a payment standard that is the amount generally needed to rent a moderately-priced dwelling unit in the local housing market and that is used to calculate the amount of housing assistance a family will receive.  However the payment standard does not limit and does not affect the amount of rent a landlord may charge or the family may pay.  A family which receives a housing voucher can select a unit with a rent that is below or above the payment standard.  The housing voucher family must pay 30% of its monthly adjusted gross income for rent and utilities, and if the unit rent is greater than the payment standard the family is required to pay the additional amount.  By law, whenever a family moves to a new unit where the rent exceeds the payment standard, the family may not pay more than 40% of its adjusted monthly income for rent.

The Rent Subsidy

The City of Concord Housing Department calculates the maximum amount of housing assistance allowable.  The maximum housing assistance is generally the lesser of the payment standard minus 30% of the family's monthly adjusted income or the gross rent for the unit minus 30% of monthly adjusted income.

Can I move and continue to receive housing choice voucher assistance?
A family's housing needs change over time with changes in family size, job locations, and for other reasons.  The housing choice voucher program is designed to allow families to move without the loss of housing assistance.  Moves are permissible as long as the family notifies the CHD ahead of time, terminates its existing lease within the lease provisions, and finds acceptable alternate housing.

Under the voucher program, new voucher-holders may choose a unit anywhere in the United States if the family lived in the jurisdiction of the PHA or department issuing the voucher when the family applied for assistance.  Those new voucher-holders not living in the jurisdiction of Cabarrus County at the time the family applied for housing assistance must initially lease a unit within that jurisdiction for the first twelve months of assistance.  A family that wishes to move to another PHA's jurisdiction must consult with the Concord Housing Department that currently administers its housing assistance to verify the procedures for moving.

Roles - the tenant, the landlord, the housing agency and HUD

Once Concord Housing Department approves an eligible family's housing unit, the family and the landlord sign a lease and, at the same time, the landlord and the PHA sign a housing assistance payments contract that runs for the same term as the lease.  This means that the tenant and landlord has obligations and responsibilities under the voucher program.

Tenant's Obligations

When a family selects a housing unit, and the CHD approves the unit and lease, the family signs a lease with the landlord for a least one year.  The tenant may be required to pay a security deposit to the landlord.  After the first year the landlord may initiate a new lease or allow the family to remain in the unit on a month-to-month lease.

When the family is settled in a new home, the family is expected to comply with the lease and the program requirements, pay its share of rent on time, maintain the unit in good condition and notify the Concord Housing Department of any changes in income or family composition.

Landlord's Obligations

The role of the landlord in the voucher program is to provide decent, safe, and sanitary housing to a tenant at a reasonable rent.  The dwelling unit must pass the program's housing quality standards and be maintained up to those standards as long as the owner receives housing assistance payments.  In addition, the landlord is expected to provide the services agreed to as part of the lease signed with the tenant and the contract signed with the CHD.

Housing Department's Obligations

The CHD administers the voucher program locally.  The CHD provides a family with the housing assistance that enables the family to seek out suitable housing and the agency enters into a contract with the landlord to provide housing assistance payments on behalf of the family.  If the landlord fails to meet the owner's obligations under the lease, Concord Housing has the right to terminate assistance payment.  The Concord Housing Department must reexamine the family's income and composition at least annually and must inspect each unit at least annually to ensure that it meets minimum housing quality standards.