There are over 160 miles of streams within the City of Concord city limits. When it rains, unwanted trash and debris is washed from the roads straight into the storm drainage system. The storm drains lead directly to ponds, streams, and lakes. This litter makes the streams and lakes look terrible! Removing the waste not only beautifies our waterways, but also helps improve both water quality and the health of aquatic habitats.
The City of Concord offers two stream clean-up programs: Clean-A-Creek and Adopt-A-Stream
Clean-A-Creek is a one-time clean-up of a stream segment of your group’s choosing.
Adopt-A-Stream is a long-term commitment. Groups are asked to complete two stream clean-ups each year. After two successful clean-ups, Concord Water Resources will place a sign denoting your group as adoptees of your chosen stream segment.
Available Equipment and Supplies:
- Safety Vests
- Trash/Recycling Bags
- Trash Grabbers (must be returned)
Want to participate? Please follow the steps below:
- Find the stream segment you're interested in on the interactive map below. Click on the segment, and fill out the form. Choose whether your group is wanting to participate in Adopt-A-Stream or Clean-A-Creek.
- We will contact you upon approval of the submitted form and send you a contract and liability release for you to complete and email back. (The Adopt-A-Stream Contract requires that your group perform 2 stream clean-ups per year along your designated stream segment.)
- One week before each stream cleanup, if you'd like to borrow supplies, please complete this Equipment Checkout Form. Be sure to indicate amounts and types of equipment your group will need. When checking out equipment, your group agrees to return the trash grabbers in the shape they were received, and to return them no later than 2 days after your scheduled stream cleanup. **If your scheduled stream clean-up is delayed, please notify City of Concord personnel so that we can reallocate equipment for your rescheduled clean-up date.
- After each stream clean-up, please take all collected waste (orange trash bags) to an accessible curbside location. Then report the location to the City of Concord so that the waste can be collected. Any recyclable items may be placed inside green City of Concord recycle bins or clear trash bags.
- Upon completion of each stream clean-up, please complete a Field Activity Report through the map below, by clicking on your Stream Segment and then clicking the "Field Activity Report Form".
Contact Heather Freeman at 704-920-5376
Or send an email to Stormwater@concordnc.gov
Display Larger Map
At this time, if you're needing to borrow supplies, we can only allow one group per weekend to do their clean-up. Please view the calendar below and let us know your proposed date of your clean-up.
Adopt a Stream Application